Monday, February 11, 2008

H.E.A.(T.H.)



Happily Ever After. That's how romance novels are supposed to end. It's the rule. I guess my hero didn't know that.

You see, in my last book, KNIGHT'S PRIZE, my hero was Heath Ledger.


He didn't know it. And nobody would guess--even though I slipped his name into my acknowledgments. I always "cast" my books, playing cinematic matchmaker to choose a hero who'll make great chemistry with the heroine.

Sometimes I change his coloring. Sometimes I alter his age. The cover art doesn't usually bear much resemblance to the actor. None of that matters. I know in my heart who my hero is.


At my desk, I spent hours with Heath–watching him react, listening to him talk, taking careful note of every expression, every gesture, committing his character to the page. Soon, along with my heroine, I began to fall helplessly in love with him. We went on adventures together–flirting with danger and with coy winks, battling with words and swords, making promises, making trouble, making sweet love. By the end of the story, I felt as if I knew his very soul.

Which is why the news of Heath Ledger's death has come as a crushing blow.

We don't usually dwell much on what happens after the hero and heroine find their H.E.A. We assume they go on to live long and wonderful lives.

They're not supposed to die.

Heath was too gifted, too full of promise, too heroic to be torn from us so soon.

I suppose I should be grateful for the time I got to spend with him, that I had the opportunity to write KNIGHT'S PRIZE before he slipped from this world, that I was able to, in my small way, contribute to the body of works that will immortalize him. But the part of me that lives in the story, the part that fell in love with him right along with the heroine, is terribly sad.

Rest in peace, dear hero. May you find your H.E.A.(V.E.N.).



Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER - Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART - Coming for you October 2006
KNIGHT'S PRIZE - Stealing your heart April 2007
DANGER'S KISS - Flirting with trouble May 2008

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Amen to that. He died much, much too soon.

julia said...

I really took his death hard, too. He was one of my favorite real talents in the world. I'm already missing the films I won't see him in.