Sunday, March 30, 2008

LaBatts Day

I'm late again. Jeez, maybe I should move my day. :-)

Anyway, something special happened today. It was LaBatts Day. Now, there are a few of you who may understand what I'm talking about, but for the rest, this is the scoop.

I live in Upstate NY state. That is not Yonkers. That's UP state NY, specifically Central NY around Syracuse and Rochester and yon. Every Spring, I have exactly one LaBatts Day. This is the day when the temperature goes above 40 degrees and the sun is out and it's a weekend--for the first time. On this day, I sit outside on my deck and enjoy one LaBatts beer. Normally, I don't drink beer. But this a tradition, just like Christmas and New Year's. In fact, far more anticipated than any other holiday because LaBatts Day welcomes in Spring, in all its glory, and gives us all hope that, yes, one day soon, all the snow will melt.

For those you living south of CNY, perhaps this seems rather dramatic but trust me, we need this. CNY winters are not for wimps and this year was no exception with 120 inches of snow. But as I sit outside, listening to the birds chirp and the sounds of Spring, I know that winter will soon be no more than a distant memory.

So raise your glasses, folks, it's LaBatts Day.

(2006)
Please enjoy LaBatts Day responsibly.








Samantha Graves
www.samanthagraves.com

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

Ah, but you'll be drinking a stout soon huh?

I was just so damn happy to see two, yes two, crocus buds in the yard this afternoon. Our first daffodil is just out busting open. Now if we could just get a) the snow out of the yard and b) snow out of the forecast Spring in Western NY would be lovely.

Sam said...

OOo, I love when the croci (crocus plural?) poke out! Although I've seen them buried in snow too, which is just sad. But YAY on the croci!

Diana Holquist said...

Wow, I miss central New York. I actually miss the snow. I've surely been gone too long...

--Diana

Cynthia said...

Inquiring minds need to know, just how long do you have to be gone to miss snow?

catslady said...

I'm from western PA and just saw my first robin. I like your tradition although maybe I'd wait for 50 instead of 40 lol.

Diana Holquist said...

Hey Cynthia.

I had to be gone exactly one 9-hour drive-to-Vermont for a ski trip to miss snow in my backyard.

Also, the 6,743 "Mom, I hate it here there's no snow! Philly sucks!" comments from my kids took their toll.

--Diana