Tuesday, March 11, 2008

WWI--Writing While Intoxicated


I wonder if I should take up drinking. Serious drinking. Not just the once-every-six-months peach margarita I have at a Mexican bar. Or the occasional glass of Piesporter with dinner.

After all, a lot of renowned authors have been full-on drunks: Edgar Allan Poe, Herman Melville, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Dorothy Parker, Truman Capote, Ernest Hemingway.

Some of my author friends swear they write better love scenes when they're a wee bit tipsy--something to do with releasing inhibitions and courting the Muse. Or maybe it's just getting the Inner Critic drunk so she can't pass judgment.

The problem is I can't hold liquor for squat. One glass of wine just makes me silly. Two glasses, and I'd be slumped over the keyboard while my forehead typed 57 pages of space bar into my manuscript.


I'd definitely have to build up my resistance day by day. Start with half a glass of light beer, work my way through a small snifter of sherry, move on to a full glass of Zinfandel, followed by an appletini, double shots of Scotch, and finally, a box of Cabernet.

Hmm. This could get pricey. I wonder if you can deduct Shiraz as a business expense?

Well, okay, I'm not REALLY going to take up heavy drinking. My writing might flow freely under the influence, but I'm sure I'd end up with a monster editing headache in the morning.

How about you? Are you a teetotaler, a social drinker, or a renowned author?



Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER - Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART - Coming for you October 2006
KNIGHT'S PRIZE - Stealing your heart April 2007
DANGER'S KISS - Flirting with trouble May 2008

2 comments:

Shari Anton said...

I can relate to having my head hit the keyboard :). Two drinks and I get sleepy, so I think I'll stick to M&M's!

Trée said...

I hate to admit I often write better intoxicated than sober.