Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Growing readers for life

A topic recently came up on another blog from a soon-to-be new mom who was asking about good books for children. Talk about a trip down memory lane.

You see, I started a library of reading books while I was pregnant for my first, and I read to my kids every night from the day they were born. We did this for years and years. They loved bedtime because we'd all cuddle up on our bed in our jammies, and I'd read to them. It was a wonderful way for them to unwind and get ready to sleep. Today, they are 14 and 16 and have an absolute love for reading and books. I may be wrong, but I think this has to do with the bedtime stories. :)

Here's my list of their favorites:

The Poky Little Puppy
Dr. Suess One Fish Two Fish
Dr. Suess Fox in Sox
Dr. Suess Hop on Pop
Dr. Suess The Foot Book
Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
The Shoemaker and the Elves
Tootle
My First Counting Book
Scuffy the Tugboat
Strawberry Shortcake books
Beatrix Potter Peter Rabbit
Winnie the Pooh
Rainbow Brite books

I had forgotten how much I loved these stories too, and ended up weeping by the time I finished the list. Okay, except for Fox in Sox, because that one was HARD to read.

If you wish to add to this list, please do so and I'll pass the full list onto the mom-to-be.

Until next time,
Samantha Graves

6 comments:

Sonja Foust said...

The Pokey Little Puppy was one of my favorites too! We also loved that one with the caterpillar that ate everything. I think it was called The Very Hungry Caterpillar or something. And, of course, Good Night Moon.

Ann M. said...

Oh.. I'd add my favorite when I was little - The Little Engine that Could.

Along with The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle are his other wonderful array of books.

We loved Boynton books. Great board books that were quick reads and could fit in the diaper bag.

Add Richard Scary books.

A little older, Arthur books, Thomas the Tank Engine and Franklin books.

Not counting some of the gorgeous picture books that are out there.

Susan Crandall said...

Pokey Little Puppy was a hit in our house. Also, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.

Shari Anton said...

Love that Little Engine. I can still hear my son doing the chugging sound effects :).

Carat said...

I would add Good Night Moon. It was a child hood favorite.

MaryF said...

I Love You Forever by Robert Munsch.

Knuffle Bunny (forget the author)

Anything illustrated by Jan Brett

Paul O. Zelinsky's Rapunzel