Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm Cooking Now!

This Carolyn Jewel and this is my first ever post to the Grand Central Cafe blog so I'll introduce myself a bit, putting in all the best parts and leaving out the boring parts. (What an amazing coincidence. That's what that I try to do when I write books!) Right. So here we go. In my day job, I'm a MS SQL Server DBA. . . .

Hey!! Wake up!

Ahem. Trying again here. Note to self: leave OUT the boring parts.

My first book for Grand Central Publishing is coming out this August. The title is My Wicked Enemy. So, far I've had one advance review show up, by Terrie Figueroa at Romance Reviews Today and she said, some of the sex scenes should probably come with a warning label, which made me laugh for reasons that would take too long to explain, aside from the obvious of course. So if such scenes bother you, this book may not be your cup of tea. (By the way, in keeping with the cooking theme, sort of, my favorite tea is Murrough's Welsh Brew.)

Over there to the right, if you're reading this at the website, you can see my cover which is pretty hot. Like the sex scenes. LOL. You can Read Chapter one here or read the the entire review over at my blog since, as of this posting, the review (being an advance review and all) isn't yet posted over at Romance Reviews Today.

Quick Introduction to My Wicked Enemy



My Wicked Enemy is about Carson Philips, a woman who grew up not knowing she was a witch or that the man who raised her is a mage (a human with magic). Alvaro Magellan and others like him, kill and/or control demons in order to protect humans. That excuse serves as a convenient cover for things that aren't at all very nice. When Carson finds out what some of those not very nice things are, she runs away. She gets found pretty quickly. By a demon warlord sworn to kill her and Magellan. Uh oh.

That's Nikodemus and Carson on the cover so you can probably guess they don't stay enemies.

An Even Quicker Contest Note



To celebrate the release of My Wicked Enemy, I'm having a Wicked Cool contest, which I would love to have you enter. Catch: you enter by joining my newsletter list, which comes out only when I have news, so it's not like you'd get to read amusing things like this blog post all the time. I know, I know. So disappointing! To make up for that, there will be wicked cool prizes. Now, on to the important stuff!

Achieving Cookie Awesomeness



I like to bake, so I thought I'd give some baking tips that make me look like some kind of super cook, even though I'm not. I love chocolate chip cookies. Looooove them. So does my son, so I like to have them on hand for his lunches. The Toll House cookie recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bag is awesome, but there are a few things you can do to ensure cookie awesomeness:

  1. Use butter, not margarine;

  2. The butter should be cold-- and don't over beat it. If you do, the cookies come out looking flat and thin. Voice of experience here;

  3. Use mini chocolate chips instead of the regular size chips;

  4. Take the cookies out of the oven when the tops are still a bit white. This ensures a softer, chewier cookie. If you don't like softer and chewier, then leave them in until the tops are not white, but not burnt either. Cookie disasters, and I've had plenty, are another post altogether. The cookies that looked like fried egg whites, oh, that was just bad and sad.



A Few Extra Things Plus Other Stuff



You can find me at my website but also at My Space. But a really fun place to check out Twitter which seems silly and possibly pointless until you're following a few people, and then you get why it's fun.

I'm following a lot of writers. You can ignore the SQL Server people I follow, unless geeks are your thing. You can also search for people from your home town, say, and follow them. I've met some cool people on Twitter. So join up, drink the Kool-Aid and follow me on Twitter. Tweet, tweet.

And lastly, just because I think these video interviews are hilarious, go check out Author Talk. I'm doing my best to get them to interview me. Jill and Gena. They rock. I'm sure I would rock too, if only they would interview me.

And now, believe it or not, I'm all done for this post. But if you have cookie questions or any other questions, leave a comment. Or send me a tweet. Or whatever. Thanks for reading!

Carolyn Jewel

11 comments:

Michelle Rowen said...

Welcome to the Café, Carolyn! And congrats on the first (of many, I'm sure!) great review for the new book! :-)

Pam P said...

Hi Carolyn, I've been a fan since I first read Lord Ruin, and would love to see another historical from you. Meanwhile, I love paranormals just as much, particularly witches and mages, can't wait to read this one. Who doesn't love homemade chocolate chips, can't beat that original Toll House recipe.

Shari Anton said...

Great job, Carolyn! A friend talked me into joining Twitter (and I'm following Carolyn Jewel :)). Sometimes we need a little silly in our lives.

Megan Frampton said...

One day I will have to have you explain Twitter to me. I got a notice that someone was following me, which was kinda cool and kinda creepy.

Yay on your gorgeous cover!

Buffie said...

Hey Carolyn! I just had to laugh when you mentioned that the reviewer stated you should have a label on your love scenes. In addition to the laugh, I immediately wrote down your name and the book name down so that I could hunt down the book tomorrow at the store. I totally love hot love scenes. And your cover is just gorgeous. I think I would like to work for the art department at a book company. What a cool job that would be!

Anyhoo . . . congrats on the release and I hope you sell lots!

Carolyn said...

Wow, people read my post! This is so exciting! Thanks Michele, for the kind comments. Michele got tortured with reading a portion of the first-draft of My Wicked Enemy. (I fixed that stuff, okay?)

Pam, thanks so much for stopping by. I will have a historical out, by the way. Scandal will be out in January 09, so there's a light at the end of that tunnel! In the meantime I hope you enjoy My Wicked Enemy.

Shari Anton, you rocks. You probably don't know this, but I solved the crossworld puzzle where you were one of the answers, and I didn't have to fill in the other directions to get it. See you on Twitter!

Megan. Megan, Megan. Go follow Shari and some other writers and you'll start to see. Twhirl is a great desktop client that makes all things Twitter easy.

And Buffie, uh, do you know that guy in your profile pic? Wow. That's an awesome photo. My Wicked Enemy will be out in August, so you could have a store pre-order it for you. Email me from my website and I'll send you the first three chapters, ok? carolynjewel.com

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Michelle Rowen said...

LOL... definitely not torture Carolyn!! I can't wait to read the final version... :-)

Buffie said...

Carolyn -- too funny!!! Of course people are reading your blog LOL!

As far as the gorgeous man in my avatar. That is Raoul Bova. One hot guy!!!! Glad you enjoyed the view

Carolyn said...

Raoul Bova . . . with the magic of Google -- oh, my gosh! Thanks for providing the name.

vanessa jaye said...

I cannot wait for this book!(And the others you have coming down the pike!)

Carolyn said...

Vanessa!
Hi and thanks for the kind words.

Carolyn