Monday, July 21, 2008

Setting Sail

For a few more days, this is my home away from home. We're aboard the Diamond Princess, sailing south along the coast of Alaska. No, I'm not about to regale you with our vacation pictures (though I assure you they're spectacular!). What I find absolutely amazing is that I can write this blog while sipping on a Mocha and watching mountains pass by the large windows in the Internet Cafe.

This might not seem magical to anyone under 30 or so who has grown up with more technology than I ever dreamed of as a kid. Heck, I can remember when my parents thought they'd gone overboard (partial pun intended :)) when they bought our first color tv. And I thought I was going overboard when I got my first cell phone. I still can't use all of it's features. Never did learn how to text.

That doesn't mean I don't like my gadgets! Like the My Book I received for Christmas on which I have my entire computer backed up and is currently sitting in the safe at home. I adore my digital camera. I can take hundreds of pictures and only keep the ones I want, like the adorable harbor seal we saw this morning while sitting on our stateroom's balcony having our morning coffee.

And now I've just wasted a few of my minutes looking at a waterfall instead of paying attention -- so I'll get to the point.

Not so long ago it wasn't possible to communicate so easily if you weren't near your landline at home. Now I know several people who've given up their landlines and use cell phones exclusively. I would never have been able to talk to you while on vacation (and maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing :)). Technology has changed our lives whether we wanted it to or not.

What can you do now that you couldn't do just a few years ago and wonder how you ever managed?

Waving from Alaska, on the way to Juneau!!

Shari

http://www.sharianton.com/
www.myspace.com/sharianton

Note: I wrote the above while aboard ship, but I couldn't post it. I'm assuming a problem existed between the ship's satellite internet server and Blogger. I guess there are still things we can't do when we want to, and maybe that's not a bad thing :).

4 comments:

Jill James said...

Shari, your cruise sounds so exciting and relaxing at the same time. I'm always in awe at today's technology. I never dreamed we would have a personal computer, let alone a laptop for each of us in the family! We all have cellphones when it seems such a short time ago only the hubby had one for work. hahahaha

Annie Solomon said...

Shari, I know exactly how you feel. I, too, remember my Dad bringing home our first color TV! And last year, hubby and I took the RV to the Smokies and I sat outside by the banks of the river and checked my email!

Enjoy the cruise...and the technology.

Shari Anton said...

I also remember when a large company I worked for installed its first computer system. It took up a whole room and could barely handle the payroll records. Times surely have changed!

BTW, the cruise was fantastic. I highly recommend that everyone put a visit to Alaska on the Bucket List.

Carolyn said...

I am so jealous! I want to do that cruise someday.