Friday, December 12, 2008

Tu-re-lu-re-lu Pat-a-pat-a-pan


Do you hum along with the holiday music in the malls? I do. It's probably the only thing that saves my sanity as I'm shoved through throngs of shoppers on the edge of panic. The great thing about Christmas carols is you usually know the melody and most of the words, unlike Kanye West's latest offering.

I don't like ALL Christmas songs. "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" puts me to sleep. "O Little Town of Bethlehem"? Meh. The whip cracks in "Sleigh Ride" make me cringe, and "White Christmas" always sounds racist to me. "Feliz Navidad" is frustrating, because I can never seem to sing past the first line. And I can't hear "don we now our gay apparel" without envisioning assless chaps.

How about you? What's your favorite carol? Do you chime in at the top of your lungs, or are you tone-challenged?

This year, my musician husband has been off the road for the month of December, so our house has been filled with more music than usual. In fact, we've put together a holiday CD to send out as our Christmas card.

So here's a gift from my family to yours, "The Coventry Carol," orchestrated and played in a traditional medieval style by my husband, Richard, and sung by my daughter, Brynna, and myself:

Click here to hear or download Coventry_Carol.mp3

And okay, I'll play. Here's my donation to the beefcake gallery:


It's surprising how few images there are of our favorite hunks in Santa garb. I guess it's not easy to be sexy in a bulky red coat with fluffy white fur!



Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER - Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART - Coming for you October 2006
KNIGHT'S PRIZE - Stealing your heart April 2007
DANGER'S KISS - Flirting with trouble May 2008

6 comments:

Michelle Rowen said...

Holy frak! Santa, I've been naughty!

Annie Solomon said...

I don't do Christmas, so the music does get a little overwhelming. I like the medieval stuff, but I suspect its largely because I don't know what they're saying! I do find myself humming along with some, which is kind of irritating! Feels like tacit approval. On the other hand, there are some great songs. I like "chesnuts" even though it's become an old chesnut itself. Then again, they're all kind of old chesnuts, aren't they? Isn't that why people like them?

Diana Holquist said...

I don't do Christmas either, so I'm right there w/ you, Annie. However, now I can NEVER even HUM "don we now our gay apparel" w/o thinking of cowboys.

Maybe that's a good thing.

And you SANG for us, Sarah! How lovely! Thank you for that...made my day.

--d.

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

I DO do Christmas and yet some x'mas music just drives me batty. I love classical carols, but the other day I was sitting in a coffee shop trying to work and they were playing odd soft jazzy/muzaky/generic Christmas music. I think they were trying to drive the shoppers out of the store.

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

PS:
For a moment there I thought Santa had a tattoo just below his belly button. Turned out to be his trousers tie, but I had to stare VERY HARD to make sure.

Annie Solomon said...

Hmm, Elizabeth, staring hard at Santa's...uh...trouser tie...

A new Christmas tradition?