Thursday, March 12, 2009

Feedin' the Muse


Sure, as a writer, I use my imagination a lot. I'm always inventing characters, making up plots, crafting dialogue. As an historical author, I sometimes even create entire towns, castles, sieges.

But none of it would resonate with readers if it didn't have a ring of truth to it. All the research in the library can't substitute for real-world experience. That's why I'm delighted to be traveling in the U.K. this month!


I'm in Dublin for the first time, soaking up the moody skies, the lilting accents, the moss-covered stones, and the twinkly-eyed, dark-haired wee folk. I peered at the ancient Book of Kells yesterday, and today I'm walking the winding streets to Dublin Castle. Tomorrow I'll catch the ferry across the chill North Sea to England.

Some of it I'll capture in photos. Some of it I'll record in notes. But most of it I'll retain as an indescribable impression that I can call upon when I'm setting a scene or describing a person. It's that spark that brings a story to life.

So what's this photo? That's me...um...doing research.




Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!

LADY DANGER - Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART - Coming for you October 2006
KNIGHT'S PRIZE - Stealing your heart April 2007
DANGER'S KISS - Flirting with trouble May 2008

No comments: