Saturday, April 11, 2009

Inspiration Where You Find It


The most common question I'm asked as a writer (besides my booksigning favorite--where is the bathroom?) is where do you get your ideas? My first thought is always, where could I NOT get ideas? They're everywhere!

I trip over small inspirations in the world around me, often in the most unexpected places.

Sometimes it's a work of art, like this one, where I found the passion I needed for my artist hero.


Sometimes it's a scrap of conversation I overhear or a compelling news story, like the cave-in from which one of my short stories was born.


Sometimes it's a stirring piece of music, like "Last of the Mohicans."


Sometimes it's the local history I discover on vacation, like the lacemaking ladies who shared their craft with me in a medieval church in England, inspiring my heroine's pastime.


Sometimes it's a hero photo.


I have a t-shirt from a Dallas writer's group that says, "Beware: What you do may end up in my next book." They're not kidding.



Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER - Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART - Coming for you October 2006
KNIGHT'S PRIZE - Stealing your heart April 2007
DANGER'S KISS - Flirting with trouble May 2008

No comments: