Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Suffering from Chicken-Without-A-Head Syndrome

Wow...is summer actually here? The weather here certainly wouldn't attest to that! It's cool and gloomy, and it has been for weeks. Here in California, we call it June Gloom, but I wish it would dry up and warm up. Summer is my favorite season, and I want it now!

My first book for Grand Central, A HINT OF WICKED, released on June 1. My kids got out of school on June 5. My son's baseball team had playoffs the week of May 30-June 7. June 7 was my daughter's preschool graduation performance. I'm giving presentations to two different RWA groups on the second weekend of June. I'm at the tail end of a blog tour. My column in my RWA chapter's newsletter was due last night. My critique partner is on a tight deadline and I'm trying to help her. My kids' new school needs about 100 pages of paperwork turned in to them by Wednesday. My mom is in town, and my grandmother is ill. I have edits due on book two by June 20...

See what I mean? I'm suffering from too much to do, too little time. One of my friends just gave me a card that said, "I know 100 languages, but I don't know how to say no in any of them..." So true. I'm so bad at saying no. But I've already said yes, and now I can't renege! I have to get all this stuff done.

I know I'm not the only one who's busy. Almost everyone I know is in the midst of a million things to do. It seems that being over-extended is a common ailment in this day and age.

I'm looking forward to June 20. I'll turn in my edits, and then I'll have a few days to recover & enjoy summer before I'm on to the next thing. And hopefully this June Gloom will have disappeared...

What about you? Are you busy too? How do you manage it so that you find some time to enjoy life in the midst of all the craziness?


Jennifer
www.jenniferhaymore.com

3 comments:

Diana Holquist said...

Book release--good. Playoffs--good. Graduation--good....

Hey, it's all good! (Except for your grandmother--I hope she's feeling better.) That's my kind of busy.

These are the exciting times you can look back on and think, I did all this...I don't know how, but somehow I made it.

Mary Marvella said...

Uh, I don't get everything done. I once had pirate fantasies. Then I got older and decided I wouldn't like living on a ship. Maybe a pirate who visited me on land a lot. I love my modern conviences.

Mary Marvella said...

Okay, Mary's running too fast. She combined her comments for this blog and the one about pirates. OOPS! See why I don't get everything done?