Sunday, August 09, 2009

On Procrastination

I am the Queen of Procrastination. There are so many ways to do it! Perhaps worst of all, much of this procrastination can be done in the name of “promo” or “research,” making it so easy to rationalize the time that’s sunk (er, I mean, spent). And that time commitment can be absolutely enormous! In fact, I think between promotion and research, I could make “procrastination” a full-time job!

First and foremost, I know my number one priority is to write the best book I can. But once that book is written, I need to promote it. I need to research the next one. I need to continually work on improving my craft.

Here are some of the ways I engage in “productive procrastination”:

(1) Researching and Improving Writing Skills

*reading fiction

*reading non-fiction

*browsing google books

*conferences

*Romance Writers of America monthly local chapter meetings

*Specialty groups (mainly historical) chat lists

*Keeping apprised of the state of romance and of technology in publishing

*Critique groups – returning critiques and beta reads that others have done for me

*Mentoring new writers


(2) Social Groups and Promotion

*Group blogs (I’m a member of the Dangerous Women group along with several other Forever authors)

*Guest blogging (how can I say no?)

*Interviews

*Appearances and book signings

*Reader chat groups (for Dangerous Women and others)

*Twitter (you can find me here on Twitter!)

*Facebook (you can find me here on Facebook!)

*Emailing readers

*Snail mailing readers

*Coming up with new ideas for contests and managing them (I'm running a great contest for writers right now over on my Dawn Halliday site!)

*Responding to blogs

*Updating my website, keeping it fresh and current

*Writing groups-the social aspect

*Writing newsletters

All of this is important, right? I do think, in this day and age, most of it is necessary. And sometimes it can be a really fun diversion from the comparative loneliness of writing. But as a writer with a young family, it can be an incredible challenge at times to balance it all. I’m definitely trying, but sometimes I think there needs to be two of me to get it all done!

What are some of the ways YOU procrastinate?


Jennifer
www.jenniferhaymore.com


5 comments:

Diana Holquist said...

I read blogs and then feel guilty about all the things I'm not doing.

Sheesh, Jennifer, that's not procrastination, that's a lot of work! I feel like I should print this out and start doing more...

Just as soon as I read a few more blogs...

Jennifer Haymore said...

Hi Diana, Oh, yeah! I read blogs too. That's a great way to take up tons of time in the name of networking, isn't it?

penney said...

I read your book Jennifer and I loved it. I'm looking forward to more of your books.
penney

Jennifer Haymore said...

Thank you so much, Penney! I'm so glad you enjoyed AHOW! :)

Kelly Moran said...

great blog guys. i've reviewed most of your books for Bookpleasures, and most of you are on my interview list or have been. pleasure to see so many of you in one place. looking fw to many more of your books.
i'm following you now. feel free to pop into mine to follow.
xo